Peppercorn Harvest Bacon and Scallion Scone
Most of us are familiar with sweet scones in the mornings, but if you haven’t indulged in their savory siblings, we invite you into a whole new world of deliciousness. We added our Peppercorn Harvest specialty cheddar to bacon and scallions for a tender, crumbly and rich scone that we don’t feel a bit guilty about enjoying. We suggest dicing your cheddar instead of grating. This ensures that each bite of scone will have cheesy, peppery flavor pockets. This recipe is very quick to put together, even more so if you cook your bacon the day ahead.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup Peppercorn Harvest cheddar, diced small
- 1/3 cup fresh scallion greens and white, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked, crumbled bacon (about a 1/2 pound)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (plus 2 Tb for brushing on top of scones)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly, some large pieces of butter are fine.
- Stir in the cheese, scallions, and bacon.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cream, and stir to combine. Shaggy dough is okay, but if you try to squeeze the dough together, and it won’t hold together, or if there are a large amount of crumbs and dry flour in the bottom on the bowl, add 1 tablespoon of cream until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the shaggy dough to a well-floured work surface, gently press all the shaggy bits together into a rough ball.
- Pat the dough into a smooth 8-9″ disk about 3/4″ thick. Use a knife or bench knife to cut the dough into 8 wedges. Transfer the cut scones to the baking sheet.
- Brush the scones with a small amount of cream to promote a golden crust, being careful not to get cream on the cut sides.
- Bake the scones in the middle rack for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Peppercorn Harvest Cheddar: A taste of the Fall that will leave your taste buds rejoicing all year round. Peppercorn Harvest has the perfect blend of a savory bite and a hint of sweetness from dried peppercorns. This cheese combines our wonderful aged cheddar with the balance of red and green peppercorns.
Face Rock Extra Aged 2yr Cheddar: This cheddar received the 1st place ribbon at the 2015 ACS (American Cheese Society) Awards in the “BEST Aged Cheddar” category!
Our Premium Extra Aged Cheddar is sharp and luxurious with a smooth buttery flavor and creamy texture enhanced by cheese crystals that indicate a quality aged cheddar.
12 Month Aged Cheddar: Our 12 month Aged Cheddar is creamy with a slight nutty flavor. It is a medium cheddar, full of creamy cheddary flavor- yet without the bite that you’ll find in the sharper versions. Low in moisture, this cheddar is great on its own or with your favorite foods.