Rock’n Pão de Queijo
Pão de Queijo, commonly called Brazilian Cheese Bread, is a real treat! These light, fluffy puffs of cheese are made with tapioca flour and are way easier to make than you might think. We used a combination of our pepper Jack, Rock’n Jack and fresh parmesan to get the characteristic chewy texture with a pepper kick. The flavor and fluffiness of Brazilian Cheese Bread is the big draw, but these treats are gluten-free as well! Bob’s Red Mill is one of the more common manufactures of tapioca flour and bags can be found in Whole Foods-type stores.
- ½ cup butter or olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 cup Rock’n Jack, shredded
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine olive oil, water, milk, and salt into a saucepan, and heat to boiling over high heat. Remove the pan from heat as soon as it comes to a boil. Transfer liquid to the bowl of a stand mixer and add in tapioca flour and garlic. Beat on medium until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Beat eggs lightly in a small bowl. Add eggs and cheese into the tapioca mixture and mix until well combined. The mixture will be slightly crumbly. Drop rounded tablespoon sized balls of the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet. A small cookie scooper works well for this!
- Bake in preheated oven until the tops are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
Monterey Jack: Our Monterey Jack is a semi-firm, sweet, creamy, mild American Classic. This Jack is high in moisture which makes it perfect for melting and cooking.
Face Rock’n Jack: We’ve blended Jalapeno and Sweet Red Peppers into our creamy Monterey Jack and came up with a Pepper Jack that is out of this world! Creamy and smooth yet spicy, hot, and sweet this Pepper Jack will rock your tastebuds!