In Your Face Kicks up your Cornbread
One of my favorite light suppers is a chunky tomato and cucumber salad, studded with avocado and sweet Walla Walla onion. But sometimes adding more flavor starts to feel like a lot more effort than I want to make. So to add another layer to this simple spread, I took a classic cornbread recipe and added our favorite kicked-up cheddar, In Your Face.
In Your Face is a spicy 3-pepper cheddar that adds a ton of flavor and just enough heat from a confetti trio of Jalapeno, Habanero and sweet red peppers. This cornbread is fluffy and flavorful, and an excellent way to add more cheese to the table, since there never enough!
In Your Face Green Chile Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons avocado or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (cut off approx. 2 large ears)
- 1 small can green chiles
- 1.5 cup shredded In Your Face cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray an 8 inch square Pyrex baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, and eggs.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Add corn kernels, green chiles, and cheddar cheese to the batter and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake on center rack until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean – about 32-34 minutes.
- Cool in pan before cutting into squares and serve.